Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

We’re happy to answer each and every one of your questions to help you get the clearest picture of what life will be like as an apprentice.

This way you can rest-assured that you are picking the route that's right for you and your individual circumstances.

How do I apply for a college level course?

To apply for a course at Hopwood Hall College, simply find the course you are interested in and choose the ‘apply now’ button on screen. You’ll be asked to register for an account.

This way you can save your application as you go along and even come back to it later if needed. Once we’ve received your completed application, our admissions team will be in touch.

If you have any questions about your application you can contact our admissions team by emailing

Please note that for our selection of short online courses, you can simply register your interest by emailing

What about my entry requirements?

Our entry requirements vary from course to course. Please see individual courses for more information about the grades you will require to be accepted onto the course. You can find these in our course guide.

What if I don't know my predicted grades?

Please don't worry if you currently don't know your predicted grades. You can still choose your course and start on your application. Your predicted grades can then be submitted at a later date.

What if I don't get the grades I was expecting?

Given recent developments, it is worth knowing that we will assess every student application on its individual merit and circumstances. We will seek to ensure that no student is disadvantaged because of the extraordinary circumstances in which we find ourselves in.

We will help you to find the right course for you based on your results. Our team is on hand to offer advice and guidance if you need to change your course. We are always happy to work with you to find the right path for you.

Can I get help with my learning?

Yes. We have a team of staff ready to help. We can arrange all the support needed prior to the start of your course. Make sure you let us know on your application and we’ll be in touch.

Otherwise you can contact our Student and College Services team or the Learning Support team for a chat about what help is available before you start in September. Drop them an email at

How do I apply for a full-time course at the University Centre?

You can apply for a full-time course at our University Centre through UCAS.

You can submit your application when you have your UCAS reference. You must do this by 18:00 (GMT) on January 15th, 2021 to be guaranteed equal consideration.

‘Equal consideration’ means we review your application in the same way as all other applications we receive by the deadline, regardless of when each application is received. If you apply after the equal consideration deadline we may not have remaining spaces for your course.

How do I apply for a part-time adult course or an Access course?

You can apply for a part-time course or an Access course through our website.

This process is designed to be quick and seamless. However, we can also offer you additional support with this process. For help, email:

How do I apply for a flexible learning course?

    Once you have decided on a flexible learning course, you can apply by emailing or calling 0161 654 4373.

    A member of the team will contact you to ensure the course meets your needs and to guide you through our simple enrolment process.

    How do I apply for a free online course?

    If you would like to complete one of our free online courses, you can apply through the website here.

    In the event that you would like further information on a course, please email

    Will my Access or Higher Education course be completed online or in-person?

    We're pleased to still be providing in-person teaching at our University Centre. Whereas other institutions have moved online, we've managed to maintain face-to-face lessons - much to the delight of current students.

    You can read more about our response to the COVID-19 pandemic HERE.

    Where will my course be taught?

    Hopwood Hall College and University Centre is spread across two unique campus - both of which boast many great features!

    You'll either be taught at Middleton or Rochdale depending on the course that you choose. The location of your course is outlined in the course description found on our website, in our course guide and on this site.

    How will I get my uniform?

    If your course requires a uniform this information will be sent to you before the start of your course. Orders can be made electronically with payment accepted at receptions when you start your course.

    Uniform can also be paid for by our financial support packages or bursary if funding is an issue. Once you have been accepted for financial support you can then submit your order form to the College.

    Where will my course be taught?

    Hopwood Hall College and University Centre is spread across two unique campus - both of which boast many great features!

    You'll either be taught at Middleton or Rochdale depending on the course that you choose. The location of your course is outlined in the course description found on our website, in our course guide and on this site.

    What financial support is available?

    We have a range of financial bursaries available depending on your individual circumstances, visit our Fees / Finance page here for further details or contact our Student and College Services team by calling 0161 643 7560 or by emailing to discuss your options.

    How do I get to Hopwood Hall College and University Centre?

    Both Middleton and Rochdale campuses are very accessible. Hopwood Hall is well served by a combination of public bus routes, Metrolink, trains and our 8 FREE college bus service routes too.

    Can I look around the campuses?

    During our usual on-campus Open Events, our student ambassadors would give you a guided tour and proudly tell you about the facilities that we enjoy.

    Until we are able to do so again, we are holding Virtual Open Events for you to seek answers and have a look around via our website. This will give you the chance to explore our campuses in a different way.

    An important aspect of this is our Virtual Tours, which allow you to explore both campuses. You will even get a glimpse of our cheeky meerkats and friendly alpacas as you tour our wildlife enclosures!

    How do I get in touch with someone when Hopwood Hall College is closed?

    We regularly update our website and social media channels with all the latest information as we receive it. We have also set up live chat options and our telephone lines operate Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm.

    Call 0161 643 7560 to be put through to a member of staff.

    What else is there for me to do at Hopwood Hall College?

    All our students have access to FREE gym membership and fitness classes at our Sports Arena, which can be used any time the gym is open. You can use it even on weekends and evenings.

    I have a learning difficulty and/disability. What additional support will be available to me at College?

    Hopwood Hall has a Learning Support Team to provide the support required to learners who have a learning need eg. Special Educational Need (SEN) and/or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

    If you have an EHCP, your Local Education Authority SEN Team should provide a copy of your EHC plan to the College.

    You can also contact the Learning Support Team by email at:

    What support is available to students with a SEN need and/or EHCP?

    We will discuss your support needs and requirements with you, making decisions based on the support you had in school previously and the support required in College to help you learn and settle in.

    Learning Support work closely with teaching staff in College and parents/carers to ensure that we are working together to best meet your needs in College.

    Types of support available include:

    • Support for transition and help to settle into campus
    • In class support eg. learning, communication, organisation and progress on your course
    • Out of class support for unstructured times eg. meet and greet/accompany to class, lunch and break times, lunchtime clubs
    • Quiet rooms manned by support staff
    • Study skills/social skills and help to make friends
    • Assistive technology
    • Exams Access Arrangements eg. reader, scribe, extra time
    • Personal care rooms

    I need help with my personal statement. What can you suggest?

    We realise that putting together a personal statement can feel rather daunting. Due to this, we've compiled our top tips to help you with the process.

    Please take some time to read them HERE. They're really handy for ensuring your personal statement has the wow factor!

    Do I have to pay for my Level 2 course in full before the start of the course or can I pay in installments?

    When it comes to paying for your Level 2 course we do offer an installment plan and our Student and College services team will discuss the options available with you. You may also be eligible for funding if you earn less than £18,135, please enquire.

    Is everything I need to complete the course covered in the cost?

    The course fees will cover tuition and examination fees, other costs would depend on whether the course has a uniform, or equipment these would be separate from the course costs. You may be able to apply for Financial Support to fund these, the SCS team will advise you on this when you enrol.

    I would like to apply for a Certificate in Employability skills to enhance my CV but I have a learning difficulty, will I receive any help and support?

    We have a dedicated team on hand to support you at Hopwood Hall College. Together we will assess your individual needs and provide any additional help you may require.

    If you have a specific question about our Virtual Open Days, simply get in touch.

    0161 643 7560