Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content


We’re happy to answer each and every one of your questions to help you get the clearest picture of what life will be like at Hopwood Hall College. This way you can rest-assured that you are picking the course that's right for you and your individual circumstances.

Please read our frequently asked questions to find answers about everything from grades, uniform to financial and learning support. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, we’re more than happy to answer individual queries through our live chat.

How do I apply for a college level course?

To apply for a course at Hopwood Hall College, simply find the course you are interested in and choose the ‘apply now’ button on screen. You’ll be asked to register for an account.

This way you can save your application as you go along and even come back to it later if needed.

Once we’ve received your completed application, our admissions team will be in touch.

If you have any questions about your application you can contact our admissions team by emailing

Please note that for our selection of short online courses, you can simply register your interest by emailing

What about my entry requirements?

Our entry requirements vary from course to course. Please see individual courses for more information about the grades you will require to be accepted onto the course. You can find these in our course guide.

What if I don't know my predicted grades?

Please don't worry if you currently don't know your predicted grades. You can still choose your course and start on your application. Your predicted grades can then be submitted at a later date.

What if I don't get the grades I was expecting?

Given recent developments, it is worth knowing that we will assess every student application on its individual merit and circumstances. We will seek to ensure that no student is disadvantaged because of the extraordinary circumstances in which we find ourselves in.

We will help you to find the right course for you based on your results. Our team is on hand to offer advice and guidance if you need to change your course. We are always happy to work with you to find the right path for you.

Can I get help with my learning?

Yes. We have a team of staff ready to help. We can arrange all the support needed prior to the start of your course. Make sure you let us know on your application and we’ll be in touch.

Otherwise you can contact our Student and College Services team or the Learning Support team for a chat about what help is available before you start in September. Drop them an email at

What will my day be like at Hopwood Hall College?

The majority of our College courses are three days a week but this does vary depending on which subject area you choose.

Our timetables usually run between 9.00am - 4pm, and 3pm on a Friday. Within that time we have allowed for individual study time and comfort breaks.

You will be given a personalised timetable at enrolment so you will know when you have time for free study during those days.

How do I get to Hopwood Hall College?

Both Middleton and Rochdale campuses are very accessible. The College is well served by a combination of public bus routes, Metrolink, trains and our 8 FREE college bus service routes too (see p31 of our Course Guide for School Leavers for routes and timetables).

What financial support is available?

We have a range of financial bursaries available depending on your individual circumstances. Visit our Fees/Finance page here for further details or contact our Student and College Services team by calling 0161 643 7560. You can also email to discuss your options.

Can I look around Hopwood Hall College?

During our usual on-campus Open Events, our student ambassadors would give you a guided tour and proudly tell you about the facilities that we enjoy.

Until we are able to do so again, we are holding Virtual Open Events for you to seek answers and have a look around via our website. This will give you the chance to explore our campuses in a different way.

An important aspect of this is our Virtual Tours, which allow you to explore both campuses. You will even get a glimpse of our cheeky meerkats and friendly alpacas as you tour our wildlife enclosures!

How do I get in touch with someone when Hopwood Hall College is closed?

We regularly update our website and social media channels with all the latest information as we receive it. We have also set up live chat options and our telephone lines operate Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm.

Call 0161 643 7560 to be put through to a member of staff.

What else is there for me to do at Hopwood Hall College?

All our students have access to FREE gym membership and fitness classes at our Sports Arena, which can be used any time the gym is open. You can even use it even on weekends and evenings.

Our enrichment programme is varied and offers something for all types of learners to enjoy while helping you to build your employability skills and resilience.

We firmly believe that your College experience is about more than what you do in the classroom. Our enrichment activities range from kayaking to Sing Your Heart Out sing-along sessions, regular employer events, challenges, yoga, cookery, gaming, field trips and student voice sessions.

They also provide a brilliant opportunity to make new friends!

When will I start my course on campus?

We are pleased to be offering face-to-face teaching at the college. We have put numerous measures in place to ensure that our learners are taught in a COVID-safe environment.

How will I get my uniform?

If your course requires a uniform this information will be sent to you before the start of your course. Orders can be made electronically with payment accepted at receptions when you start your course.

Uniform can also be paid for by our financial support packages or bursary if funding is an issue. Once you have been accepted for financial support you can then submit your order form to the College.

What will happen if I need to continue to study Maths and/or English GCSE?

When you enrol at College, if you need to continue to study (as you have not yet achieved a grade 4) you will be given a timetable that will have your group for English and/or Maths based on your current level of achievement in these subjects.

It is mandatory that you attend your English and/or Maths classes in order to be able to continue to study your vocational subject.

I have a learning difficulty and/disability. What additional support will be available to me at College?

The College has a Learning Support Team to provide the support required to learners who have a learning need eg. Special Educational Need (SEN) and/or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

If you have an EHCP, your Local Education Authority SEN Team should provide a copy of your EHC plan to the College.

You can also contact the Learning Support Team by email at:

What support is available to students with a SEN need and/or EHCP?

We will discuss your support needs and requirements with you, making decisions based on the support you had in school previously and the support required in College to help you learn and settle in.

Learning Support work closely with teaching staff in College and parents/carers to ensure that we are working together to best meet your needs in College.

Types of support available include:

  • Support for transition and help to settle into College
  • In class support eg. learning, communication, organisation and progress on your course
  • Out of class support for unstructured times eg. meet and greet/accompany to class, lunch and break times, lunchtime clubs
  • Quiet rooms manned by support staff
  • Study skills/social skills and help to make friends
  • Assistive technology
  • Exams Access Arrangements eg. reader, scribe, extra time
  • Personal care rooms

If you have a specific question about our Virtual Open Days, simply get in touch.

0161 643 7560